Wednesday, February 15, 2012

The 38th "Tour of the Algarve" Starts Today.

http://www.voltaalgarve.com/
The Tour starts today.  No, not the Tour De France, it's the Tour of the Algarve - one of the early season shake-down events used by a lot of the pro teams to prepare for the big tour.  For the next 5 days, cyclists will do battle over the toughest climbs in the area, and, if the recent weather around Lisbon is any indication, will ride against some nasty headwinds, too.  (If I'd stopped pedalling at any point during my ride to work today, I think the wind would have blown me all the way home.  Unfortunately, a headwind in the morning does not mean a tailwind on the ride home in the afternoon; around midday the winds shift, so I'll probably face the same thing going home.)

I'll be working, but if I could, I'd go and watch.  A bike race is the perfect vehicle for seeing some of Portugal's most beautiful scenery, and ever since I first experienced it more than 30 years ago, I still find a bike race to be one of the most enjoyable ways to spend an afternoon.  There is nothing like the color, the movement, and the sound of the tires rushing by. 

I wonder if anyone would notice if I didn't show up for work tomorrow...

No comments: