Friday, December 23, 2011

Operation Faster and Furiouser - Let's facilitate illegal missile shipments?

They're saying this was a mistake - that there is nothing to worry about in the strange case of US Patriot missiles, mysteriously labeled as "fireworks," found on a ship that was bound for China. We can all breathe easily because apparently those missiles were actually headed for South Korea, even though that destination appeared nowhere on the Ship's paperwork. 

And we should not be concerned that the ship was not registered as carrying weapons.

Or that, in addition to the Patriot missiles, the ship carried a cargo of nitroguanidine which, despite the name, does not contain bat guano, but is instead an explosive. 

Despite all my fears being so nicely laid to rest by unnamed experts and anonymous government spokespeople, I still feel a little unsure of the whole thing.  Yes, I realize this is a character flaw; I am sometimes unable to subvert my natural skepticism to my overriding trust in government.  I'm working on that.  But until my lobotomy is administered by my government healthcare provider, I just have to wonder - is this all some kind of Operation Super Fast and Furious? 

I mean, if our government is stupid enough to provide thousands of automatic weapons to murdereous drug cartels, ostensibly so that they could be tracked into a country (unbeknownst to its government) where we have no jurisdiction, why would they not go for broke and try the same thing on a really grand scale?  In for a penny, in for a pound, right?  If it was a great idea to do it with rifles, why not with missiles? 

Why not indeed.  No word so far from U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder on this topic, but that's hardly surprising, seeing as he took months to respond to questions about Fast and Furious, and that was after Fast and Furious led to the death of one of our federal agents and hundreds of Mexican citizens.

1 comment:

Ran said...

Linked. Disgusting.

Recall our recent shipments of drone spyplanes to Iran. ("Lost control" my sweet GPS button.)

This administration seems to be playing Santa to every corruptocracy on the planet.

Something tells me we'd be wise to facilitate select shipments to Levenworth via Gauntanamo, the sooner the better.

Merry Christmas!