Sunday, October 23, 2011

Painting Penha Palace


Penha Palace is one of those places that, even if you painted it perfectly, your painting would still be unbelievable.  The palace is such an incredible mix of color and architectural features that it's very hard to get a handle on it.  No single scene is a fair representative of the whole, and because of the way it flings itself across the highest peak above Sintra, no one view of it allows you to see more than a perplexing fraction of the entire structure.

Nevertheless, I find myself compelled to try to paint it.  As is often the case with paintings that get under my skin, I dreamed about this piece last night.  I'd been thinking about the importance of shadows in this image, and worrying that I wouldn't be able to depict them the way I wanted, but I dreamed what I think is the solution.  Time will tell.  Meanwhile, here's an early look.

1 comment:

Ran said...

This one expresses something masculine and robust. The subject, of course, but the way the sky was handled too.

Ran