Friday, October 28, 2011

Keith Miller - My Friend

I'd like to direct your attention to the shiny new gizmo on the right-hand side of my blog.  I'm exceptionally proud of it, not because it took me forever to figure out how to get it there (which it did) but because it allows me the privilege of showcasing the work of my great friend Keith Miller.

Keith and I first met in '95 or '96 (we were both in our early teens, I think...) when we were both second lieutenants.  (Ok, so we weren't in our teens.)  We hit it off pretty much immediately, despite the fact that Keith is reserved, even downright quiet while I - well, I guess I'm not.  Or at least I wasn't in those days.  We were both teaching for the Air Force at one of the smaller bases, a place called Goodfellow, in San Angelo, Texas.  Our working conditions weren't great, aside from the fact that we were entrusted with teaching fellow Air Force officers, which in and of itself made up for a lot.  We both derived a lot of satisfaction from what we did, and I think the way we got along enabled each of us to get pretty good at it.

We were a good combination because I was headstrong and a little rash, prone to launch right into things, and Keith, as I said, wasn't.  He had a way of quietly assessing a situation before he dived into it that I came to admire and tried to emulate.  For my part, I think I dragged him into a few controversies he might have missed out on, were he not my friend, so maybe I helped make his duty day a little more interesting.  Maybe not.

Either way, what I do know is that Keith has always been the kind of friend that I could rely on, and that puts him in a very small group of people.  When some of my stories were published in 2006, Keith let me stay at his place in D.C. and came along with me to the book-signing at the Library of Congress.  

Keith retired from the Air Force and, while he's always been an extraordinary guitarist (No, really - when some of the true greats are in town, they call Keith to play with them.) he's only gotten better, now that he's not moving every 2 or 3 years.  I don't keep up with him as well as I should, but when I check in on him he's always working on something new, and getting ready to record it.  As a matter of fact, he's got a new CD in the works at the moment, and he's collaborating on another project with people like Muriel Anderson, Phil Keaggy, and Keegan McClellan on a project called "For Pete's Sake," which you can read about here.

So I'm proud of this new widget-thingy on my blog, because I'm proud of Keith, and I'm glad to be able to share his music with you.  Have a listen, and if you like what you hear, drop him a line on Facebook. He'll be glad to hear from you.

No comments: