Saturday, September 03, 2011

Hardware Upgrade

I've been riding a bike that was too small for the last 10 years or so.  I finally wore it out, but when I started looking at new ones, I couldn't believe how expensive they'd become, especially here in Portugal, where the Value Added Tax pretty much doubles the price.  (There's a lesson in there somewhere, I think...)

My good friend Lee, proprietor of World Cup Ski and Cycle, Mechanicsburg, PA came to the rescue and sold me this brand new 2009 Cannondale CAAD 9 at a once-in-a-lifetime price.  I can't tell you what a difference it makes riding a bike that fits.  Whether I'm climbing, descending, or sprinting, the bike is rock solid.  It's a pleasure to ride again.

Lee has been not only a dear friend for more than 20 years, but also a patient supplier of bikes, parts, and advice to me no matter how far from his shop I've been.  Thanks to him, I've gotten to ride parts of South Carolina, West Texas, Mexico, Korea, Alabama, Georgia, California, Saudi Arabia, and Portugal.   

Thanks Lee!

2 comments:

Ran said...

Congrats! Nice bit o' kit.

I hope your saddle and gloves have a wee amount o' padding... aluminum frames are (were) stiff. Unlike the Media, they transmit everything. It's been more than 20 years since I rolled on two wheels - an old first generation Cannondale and a hand-made carbon steel unit by DiSalle were that last, if memory serves.

I loved the DiSalle; just enough strain to keep the ride vaguely comfortable. The old red Cannondale - that thing wrecked my hands and butt in minutes. I was thinking that trail tires might be more appropriate. The touring rubber was merciless.

So how is this new Cannondale?

Steven Givler said...

The carbon fork does a great job of absorbing shock while still transmitting all the information I need to control the bike. The frame is stiff, yes, and I feel it on the cobbles here, but it's not punishing, and it's such an improvement over my old bike, which was too small for me, and as a result never felt comfortable or trustworthy.