Thursday, March 24, 2011

Enter Euphemism Here__________

The Washington Examiner today explained how "Kinetic Military Action" is now the phrase by which we will refer to our efforts in Libya.  The term "war" has fallen completely out of favor.

I have to agree with idea driving the decision.  This is not a war, because, as has become the unfortunate habit since the Second World War, we disregard the Constitution and don't bother to ask Congress to declare wars any more.  But even while agreeing that it is, therefore, not a war, I have to wonder why we can't come up with a better euphemism to describe whatever it really is.

Kerfuffle?  Boondoggle?  Dustup?  Unpleasant Misunderstanding? 

In order to address this embarrassing shortcoming, I invite you, both of my readers, to suggest phrases of your own to describe how we are "enforcing a resolution that has a very clear set of goals, which is protecting the Libyan people, averting a humanitarian crisis, and setting up a no-fly zone."

6 comments:

Ran said...

You've read 1984? They had a word shredder...

Steven Givler said...

Thanks Ran.

And my second reader will respond in 3... 2... 1...

Ran said...

"Kinetic Military Action"... that would refer to ballistics, yes?

Which reminds me, this admin is chock full with euphemisms. "Stimulus." "Investment." "Reform." "Global Climate Disruption." "Overseas Contingency." "Social Justice." This new one, however, is just obviously silly. In a way, though, it's perfect: the entire premise for war in this case is ill-conceived and the definition of victory poorer still.

What bothers me about it is this: It is rash and it is bass-ackwards. If the pattern holds, this Spring and Summer's planned mob hysteria in the US by the Left will need to be put-down... thus, he'll go after the Right. So I think the answer to the challenge you pose is this: The word is:

OMEN.

Steven Givler said...

Brilliant, Ran.


I wish you were wrong, but I'm afraid you're absolutely right.

Cincinnatus said...

I am puzzled why A-10's are involved enforcing a "no-fly" zone. It has also been a wonder to me how tanks and other armored vehicles are exploding unless, like the proverbial pigs, tanks can fly.

Steven Givler said...

They're flying at very, very LOW altitude....