Thursday, October 07, 2010

Cape Hatteras Lighthouse

Since I painted a bunch of lighthouses in Portugal, I thought I'd do one near where I'm staying here in the U.S.  I'll try to post a better photo when it's finished.

As promised, here's the finished painting.  I've darkened the black stripes on the lighthouse (Actually, I didn't use black for the stripes, as black paint has a tendency to overwhelm everything else in the painting; this is an approximation of black that I made by mixing dark blues and greens.) and deepened the shadows.  I also added some detail in the sea oats in the foreground.  This lighthouse interests me, not only because of the candy-stripe paint scheme, which I find interesting, but also because it indicates to me that contrast can be every bit as eye-catching as vibrant color.  That's a good thing, especially if you happen to be building a lighthouse in the late 1800s, when paint technology did not offer the bright hues that we have available today, nor the color-fastness to stand up to strong sunlight.

No comments: