Wednesday, September 01, 2010

Zoe's Chair


A few weeks ago (back when I posted the first pics of Zach's bike) I posted pictures of this chair, which Zoe and I started restoring for our summer project.

I removed the fabric seat and back to use them as patterns, and pulled the chair apart.  I replaced the hinge points with oak dowels (It doesn't fold now, but it's stronger.) and Zoe and I sanded and painted it. 

We bought a cushion for a pool chair that matched the colors of Zoe's room.  I pulled the seams of the cushion apart and cut it to the size of the patterns I'd made for the seat and the back.  I took the pieces to a local tailor and had them sew the edges so they wouldn't fray. 

Today we put everything together.  Here's how it turned out:
Zoe likes it.  What do you think?

8 comments:

Keith Miller said...

I've really enjoyed these project posts. You've got a lot to be proud of not only in the quality of work department but also as a father. Zach and Zoe are growing up fast! Nice job, Steven.

Ran said...

Sharp! It's like a slice of a Portuguese neighborhood... positive, bright colors.

Sorta like a Cub... now the chair is a fixed-gear design.

Steven Givler said...

Hey Keith, Thanks for writing. It's great to hear from you. I'll be in Norfolk mid Sep for several weeks. Any chance we can get together?

And Ran, I'm looking forward to meeting you. You're right about the chair. With fixed gear, the landing checklist is much shorter...

Bob Belvedere said...

The colors fit in very well with the landscape.

Though I fancy myself a decent woodworker, chairs are above my pay-grade [to coin a phrase], so I envy that you were able to restore it and actually have it function and not break.

PS: The WORD VERIFICATION word is 'calibr' which I believe was the name of Arthur's sword before the divorce.

Steven Givler said...

Ha, calibr - excalibr - I get it!

And let me extend the same invitation to you, Bob; if we can get together while I'm in the States mid Sep - late Nov, it would be great to meet you.

Keith Miller said...

Hey Steven, I'd love to be able to meet up, but we're getting ready for a big trip next month to Arizona. How long are you going to be in Va?

Keith Miller said...

Steven, I'd love to be able to meet up, but we're planning a big trip to Arizona next month. How long are you going to be in Va?

Bob Belvedere said...

Steven: E-Mail me where you will be located.