Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Beyond Islamaphobia?

Daisy Khan, wife of faux-moderate Imam, Feisal Abdul Rauf, said that opposition to the Cordoba mosque goes, “beyond Islamaphobia.” In a statement that is guaranteed to earn her a podium finish in a competition for the year’s most ironic statement, she went on to liken opposition to “a metastasized anti-Semitism.”



First of all, let me say that, for people who refuse to denounce HAMAS, the claim to suffer from anti-Semitism is ludicrous. Secondly though, I have to say that I agree that opposition to the mosque – at least in my case – definitely goes beyond Islamaphobia.


To blame my opposition on Islamaphobia would be to imply that my opposition is based on fear, and that I fear what I do not understand. Nothing could be further from the case. It is my understanding of the mosque and what it represents that informs my opposition. That understanding is based on a master's degree in Mid East Studies and more than 20 years of experience with the Middle East, Islam, and the Arabic language.

I oppose the mosque precisely because I understand that it will be a monument to the system that perpetuated a violent attack that killed 2,996 innocent human beings. I oppose the mosque because it represents an incursion into the Land of the Free by a system that is determined to strip us of our freedoms and impose upon us laws and customs that are completely incompatible with the Constitution. I oppose the mosque just as I would oppose a monument to Shintoism erected at Pearl Harbor – not because I would deny anyone the right to worship as they see fit, but because their right to worship does not include the priviledge of crowing over a victory that would, among civilized people be the cause of profound and abiding shame.

3 comments:

Ran / Si Vis Pacem said...

Linked this. Thanks!

Ran / Si Vis Pacem said...

Linked this. Thanks.

By the way... The Cordoba Mosque has one very attractive feature: The seats, I hear, will be covered in rich Corinthian leather.

Steven Givler said...

I like what you've done to my car!