Thursday, June 10, 2010

Sintra



Not long ago, I wrote to you about riding mountainbike trails around the national park around Sintra. Since then, I've taken the family up to the village to have a look around.



We parked below the village and walked up, much to the dismay of Zoe, who detests walking. Every view upward seemed to frame the palace, but I was captivated by what I was seeing at ground level.



I can't get over how green it is here. Even if I hadn't been in Saudi Arabia for the last year and a half, I think I would still be amazed.



I expect that, just in the first painting I do here, I'll use more green than I have in the last 18 months.



Everything seemed to be not just alive, but vibrating with energy. I expected this tree to sweep the kids up in viney branches and carry them away at any moment.



Well, not EVERYthing was vibrating with energy.



Finally up at the level of the palace, Zach pauses to play with his yo-yo, a gift from my good friend Eric Julber, of Carmel California.



We could have climbed higher (There's a ruined Moorish castle way up at the end of this street.) but we'll save that for another day.

2 comments:

Ran / Si Vis Pacem said...

Steven,
You're a photographer. These are marvelous.

Cheers!

Steven Givler said...

Thanks. I had to learn more about photography to become a better painter. I'll post new paintings soon.