Monday, June 21, 2010

Many Projects, Little Time



I have a couple projects I try to get to in my spare time. One of those is refinishing about 10 of these chairs I found in the trash next to a sidewalk cafe the other day. I'm working on one right now for Zoe's room. I've replaced the rusty pins with oak dowels and glued them so the chair won't fold any more, but it's a lot stronger now.




I found a cushion that's exactly the colors of her room the other day, and I'll take it apart and have it sewn into the back and seat.

I bought a can of paint that matches the colors, and once I'm finished sanding the chair (I'm assuming the original paint is lead-based, so I'm doing the sanding rather than letting Zoe help.) I'll let Zoe paint it.



The other big project is building a mountain bike with Zach. We ordered this frame from an online catalog, and we're slowly adding components to it. I'm resisting the urge to hurry, which is all self-imposed. The point of this project is to have something for the two of us to do together. Side effects are that Zach learns about tools and about how bikes work, and I'm hoping that when it's finished he'll have a better understanding of those things than I did at his age. Of course, I'm also hoping he'll love riding as much as I do, and that we'll get to share that as well. So far, we've installed the bottom bracket, which is the bearings and axle to which the crank set attaches, and the head set, which is the set of bearings through which the fork tube attaches to the frame.

As with the chairs, I'll post pictures of our progress.

3 comments:

Ran said...

Nice. Soon he'll start assembling his own bike...

Steven Givler said...

Yes, all TOO soon...

Anonymous said...

I hope you're well, Steven. Sure hope too that my posts aren't offensive.
Best,
Ran