Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Tax Day Tea Party in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

Today I'm blogging from my undisclosed Persian Gulf location (OK, my undisclosed location somewhere in Riyadh) as I add my voice to the thousands (millions?) of Americans who will express their displeasure with a government that has grown far beyond the limits imposed upon it by the constitution.

I do this from an undisclosed location because, where I'm currently living, public dissent is not quite as welcome as it might be. Also, because, as a military man, my role in public discourse, especially regarding politics, must be very limited. (That's one of the freedoms I forgo gladly in order to ensure that you have yours. I hope you make the most of them.)

Still, at some point, if one is sworn to defend the constitution, one's duty can come perilously close to something that resembles politics. This is especially likely if the means by which political entities attempt to achieve their goals is to circumvent the constitution. Because I believe that is currently the case, I can say without a shadow over my conscience, that I support wholeheartedly those fine Americans who are taking time today to remind our government that it was called into existence to protect the God-given rights of individuals, not to empower select groups of the population through the depredation of other groups.

I hope that this marks an awakening in the hearts and minds of my fellow citizens that our nation was designed to be a republic, and not a democracy, the difference being that in a republic, the powers of the government are strictly limited in order to prevent the majority from being able to impose its will on minorities. Clearly, we have failed to keep our republic from degenerating into mob rule, which is nothing more than another way of saying democracy. It is taken as a given these days, that every issue should be decided by a majority vote, and that every person is entitled to vote. Nothing could be further from the Founding Fathers' intent.

There certainly seems to have been that awakening in Texas, where the governor has thrown his support behind a resolution reminding the federal government that it is bound by the law of the land - the very law that called it into existence - to refrain from interfering in the business of the states, and incidentally, the people. As one who, for the last two decades or so, has lived under an oath to support and defend that constitution against all enemies foreign and domestic, I congratulate the people and the governor of Texas, and I call on the remaining states to demonstrate their support for the rule of law, and to pass their own resolutions remind the federal government that it serves at the pleasure of the states, not vice versa.

1 comment:

Keith Miller said...

I agree. What you've stated here isn't a left or right issue. All Americans should support the preservation of our Constitution. After all, that document is the only thing that can stop the pendulum that strikes tyranny at both ends.

When I think of government spending these days, I think of the old retired couple who drive around vacationing in a bus with a funny little bumper sticker that reads, "We're spending our children's inheritance." Only difference is that the old man is Uncle Sam, and his bumper sticker should read, "I spending YOUR great great great great great grandkid's inheritance." The Constitution protects us from this kind of tyranny, and it's time to put that protection into effect.