Saturday, April 25, 2009

A Guy on a Camel

I know what you're thinking. "A guy on a camel - in Saudi Arabia! Wherever does he get these clever and unique ideas?" Well, all I can say is I paint what presents itself. Sometimes a particular subject or image just won't leave me alone until I've painted it. Twice. Or maybe three times. What can I do? I'm a slave to the muse. I think though, that if you were in my shoes (no, not sandals) you'd understand my recent fascination with camels. They are just plain weird critters. They have a very peculiar anatomy. Take, for instance, those bizarre toes. (They look like something that would be more at home on a bird, in my opinion.) Then you have those oddly-jointed legs, which are so strangely elongated, and that hump. Incidentally, I've noticed that there are two schools of thought when it comes to camel riding. There are the on-the-hump riders, who place a wooden frame over the hump, which allows them to sit atop it. And there are the behind-the-hump riders, who, like this guy, tie a large pillow behind the hump, and sit so that the hump rises in front of them. Do these two schools of thought imply social distinctions as do English and Western schools of horseback riding? Is there dressage for camel riding? See, I have many more questions still to explore. There will probably be more camel paintings to come.

2 comments:

Donald Douglas said...

You're very talented.

I think camels are cool, and it's cool to be over there where they are employed.

thesheikhdown said...

jameel 8-)