Saturday, October 04, 2008

Colonnade, Diplomatic Quarter


The Diplomatic Quarter, which is where I live and work (and yes, for those who know me and are wondering, I do appreciate the irony) has lots of beautiful architecture. The Ethiopian Embassy, the Tunisian Ambassador's residence, the Palace of Culture, I hope to paint them all. Unfortunately, I'm not allowed to photograph embassies or official residences, or I'd show you what some of them look like. As I paint them though, I'll post them here for you to see.
This painting is from part of a warren of narrow passages and colonnades on the outskirts of the Palace of Culture, which, as far as I can tell, has very little to do with culture, and is more like a collection of shops and offices radiating like spokes from a mosque at their center. Even on hot days (and I'm happy to tell you that the weather lately has been much more pleasant) these places are shaded and seem to channel the breezes, which make them a nice place to sit and read or to take discrete photographs of scenes I hope to paint later.

No comments: