Friday, September 12, 2008

First Night in Riyadh

Do not attempt to adjust your screen; you won't be able to see anything on this video. I shot it from my rooftop the first night in my house. I just wanted you to hear what it's like here at night.

The call to prayer is something you get used to hearing all the time, so much so that you don't even notice it, even when there is a minaret within a stone's throw of your bedroom window. It reminds me of that line from the Blues Brothers movie, after a train goes by and rattles everything in Elwood's apartment so loudly that nobody can hear what anyone else is saying. "How often does that happen," Jake asks. "So often that you don't even notice." is the reply.

Anyway, I was jetlagged and nowhere near sleep, so, used to it or not, this particular call to prayer didn't bother me, even though it was issued well before dawn.

No comments: