Sunday, May 11, 2008

World War II Memorial

The World War Two Memorial is enormous and very complicated. This is a veiw of the arch that commemorates the Atlantic Theater. While painting this, I was surprised to see that I was being filmed by a camera crew. After a while a woman introduced herself as a journalist for Russia Today, and asked if I would mind being interviewed. We talked about the Atlantic campaign, which I think is a great historical model for our current campaign in Iraq. After all, some people questioned the wisdom of fighting the Germans in North Africa, and then Italy, when it was the Japanese who'd attacked us in the Pacific. I explained that the location wasn't nearly as important as the concept of drawing Hitler's forces to a place where we could fight them. Although our losses in Italy were astronomical and our gains were pitifully slow, we forced Hitler to commit 14 divisions to the fight. That's 14 divisions that would have been fighting in Russia or opposing our forces as they landed at Normandy.

That brought up the question of my impression of Russia's contribution to the war, which, I suspect, was the real reason for the interview. The crew seemed surprised that I knew how important Russia was to the effort, and that I was aware of the tremendous sacrifices - probably in the millions of lives - made by Russia. The interview should be posted in Youtube relatively soon. Just search for Russia Today.

1 comment:

Keith Miller said...

Steven,

Incredible job on the WWII Memorial painting! Also, you make an excellent point comparing aspects of our current conflict with WWII. Too bad no one is making those points to our own press.

God Bless,
Keith