Sunday, October 01, 2006

Fasting for America

Matthew 17:21 reminds us that some problems are resolved only by prayer and fasting. I know we all pray for our nation, but how many of us have made fasting part of our worship?

For a while now, I've tried to make the first Monday of each month a day of fasting. I say "tried" because I've found it difficult to be faithful. Sometimes I've forgotten, and sometimes I've just not been disciplined enough to see it through. I tell you this, embarrassing as it is, because I don't want to seem self-righteous while inviting you to join me in fasting for our nation. By fasting, I'm referring to going without food or drink (aside from water) during the hours of daylight, and letting the resulting discomfort be a reminder to pray.

The first Monday of November will precede election day. What better time to call upon God in order to ask His continued blessings upon our nation, and His assistance in battle against our enemies? I would be honored if you would join me, and invite others to join as well.

The Bible tells us of great things God did for people who fasted and prayed. Is there any doubt that our nation is in need of Him to do great things for us now? If He does not bless us with Godly leaders, protect us from our enemies, and turn our hearts toward Him, let it not be because we failed to ask Him to.

Please help me to contact people and ask them to fast and pray on Monday, the 6th of November. If you have questions or ideas, please drop me a note.

2 comments:

Jonathan M said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog...yes I have a very hard time fasting too, but I do believe it is something we need to get into more. Another idea, perhaps it doesn't even need to be food fasting. Maybe fasting from a certian type of entertainment for a while would work too.

Steven Givler said...

I believe you're right; anything that demonstrates our understanding that nothing - food, entertainment, etc - is more important to us than God.