Monday, October 02, 2006

Bird and landscape




First of all, please see the blog below and consider joining me in prayer and fasting on the Sixth of November - the day before the elections.

Once you've read that, have a look at the little bird above. I noticed our cats demonstrating an inordinate amount of interest in something on the patio this morning, and when I investigated, I saw this little guy sitting on the ground just on the other side of the sliding glass door. The cats were going nuts, and he seemed completely unaware. Apparently he flew into the door and knocked himself for a loop. I went outside and picked him up and he didn't even try to get away. I held him for a little while and then set him in the courtyard in front of our house, where he was less likely to get eaten by something. After a while he seemed to regain his senses and he flew away.

Now that I think about it, I hope he was dazed by flying into the glass; maybe he had some strange bird-flu-like disease. Excuse me for a minute while I go wash my hands.

The second picture is tonight's painting, "Landscape with White Barn." I got a deal on a bunch of 5X7 inch frames, and this is the first of the paintings that will fill them. I like working small like this. I suppose that's the result of taking up painting in the desert, where water evaporated off my paper almost immediately, so I had to work small, and a fondness for the work of Frank Reaugh, which you can see by clicking on "Bird and Landscape" above.

Reaugh followed cattle drives and did tiny pastel drawings of what he saw. He worked small because of the hardships of travel in those days, and because the west Texas wind made large surfaces unwieldy. Somehow he managed to pack an incredible amount of meaning into his little drawings, and I've always envied him that ability.

No comments: