Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Seascape with Moon


Here's my painting after another evening's work. The trees still need some attention, and there's work to be done on rocks, foliage, and surf, but it's coming along nicely.

The client is hoping to get it tomorrow, but I think I'll need one or two more days. When a painting is about finished, I like to set it aside for at least a day and then look at it again with fresh eyes to make sure I haven't missed anything.

I sent my publisher a note, explaining that things have gone on way too long, and are likely to go on like this forever unless somebody does something. So I instructed them to cease all work on the book and turn over all my materials. Since they've never made good on their promises to sign the contract and get it back to me, it should be a fairly simple process of disengagement.

What's not simple is explaining this to all the folks who've ordered their copy of the book and have been awaiting it for months. I feel bad that my publisher's unreliability has inconvenienced them, and I'm embarrassed to think that I've allowed my name to be associated with theirs.

Guess I'll chalk that up to a learning experience and start looking for a new publisher.

No comments: