Thursday, August 24, 2006

D.C. Bound

I'm in the throes of my comprehensive exams for the Naval Postgraduate School's masters in Mid East Studies program. No painting or fun forecast for the next few days, and I've already preapologized to Susan and our kids for any exam-related grumpiness that might make itself known in the interim. There is light at the end of the tunnel though.

I'll be finished next Tuesday, and shortly after, (12 Sept) I'll be heading to D.C. for a book release party at the Library of Congress. This party is for the Random House book Operation Homecoming, a compilation of war letters and stories from Iraq and Afghanistan in which I have a couple chapters. I'll be staying with musician extraordinaire and great friend Keith Miller (Major, USAF) while I'm there, and maybe getting a chance to visit the National Gallery too.

It'll be right home the next day, but a quick trip should be a lot of fun.

My own book, Notes of Joy and Sadness, Letters and Paintings from Operation Iraqi Freedom is moving right along. The publisher has notified me that the proof is on its way, so it won't be long before we go to print. Of course, the proof (160 pages) will probably arrive right in the middle of exams and the publisher will want it back right away. That's the way it goes. I'll rest when I'm dead.

For excerpts, reviews, (There's a great one from Claudia Rosett, former books editor for the Wall Street Journal.) and a look at some of the paintings in the book, please visit my January archives.

No comments: