Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Seagrass

Here's what I've been working on for the last few nights. The grasses and flowers along the coast here have been spectacular lately, especially against a backdrop of eucalyptus and foggy hillsides.

This has been a particularly time-consuming project because each blade of grass in the foreground had to be masked with a thin strip of tape before the background was laid in. I still need to work some shadows and edges into the foreground. The two tennis-ball looking things in the front will be seed puffs like you find on dandelions.

I'm putting a lot of emphasis on vivid color in this painting, which isn't something that comes naturally to me, and it's not the easiest thing to do as far as watercolors are concerned. Still, I'm having a lot of fun with it, and I'm pleased with the way it's turning out so far.

3 comments:

Ghecko said...

Very nice! You are a true artist!

Steven Givler said...

Hey, thanks Ghecko. I visited your new site. Very spartan. I like it.

How're the multiple roommates?

Ghecko said...

I have a site??

Thats news to me.