Sunday, March 19, 2006

Should be studying...


I have one more final left and I should be studying for it, but it's been a couple days since I've picked up a paintbrush so I had to start a painting. That's all this is so far - just a start. I'll let you know how it turns out.

This is from a photograph I took of a storm over Robinson Canyon, which is just off Carmel Valley Road. It's a large painting, and I'm trying some new techniques that I'm not so sure of, so I have a very vague feeling about how it's going to turn out.

Sometimes from the moment I put brush to paper I can see how a painting is going to work out. That's a great feeling and it's pretty exciting. Other times I have picture in my mind but I find out in short order that the painting has its own ideas. Those are often frustrating paintings, but sometimes they end up being my favorites.

Whether or not they do, those are the paintings from which I learn the most, so even when I'm struggling with them I try to be grateful.

No comments: