Monday, March 27, 2006

Fenceline Oak

It took me a few days to get back to this, but here's the finished product.

School has resumed and I'm caught up in the activity associated with learning my new schedule, buying books, and figuring out what's going to be expected of me for the next quarter. In spite of all this, or maybe because of it, I'll still be up painting most nights after we get the kids to bed.

I have some more book news. All the paintings for my book Notes of Joy and Sadness, a collection of paintings and letters from my deployments in the War on Terror, have been digitized and are being shipped back to me at this very moment. That's 45 or so paintings representing who-knows how many hours of work all in a box being tossed around by people who have no idea how I labored over them and worry about them. It's better than when I shipped them out there though. Then I had all the same worries about whether they would be lost or damaged, but I also couldn't stop thinking that if they got lost in transit I'd lose not only the paintings but the book as well. Now at least, even if the paintings don't make it back home they will be in the book.

Soon I should have a proof, and I'll actually see what this thing looks like. I was hoping to see how the paintings digitized first, and I'm hoping when the paintings arrive they'll be accompanied by a disk with the digital images on it so I can assure myself that they're color true and well-lighted. I'll let you know.

No comments: